The NHL After Week 1
- Jonas Hiller has played 11 periods and has faced 165 shots! The next closest is Michael Neuvirth with 119.
- Your NHL goal scoring leader is Alex Ovechkin with 7 points. He is also tied for the lead in goals with Derek Roy and… Clarke MacArthur!! However, MacArthur has played one less game than the two. He is on pace for 109 goals.
- The goal of the week happened on opening night and belongs to Jordan Eberle. I saw it live, and I think I woke the neighbours when I saw what he got away with. I’m sure you’ve seen it, but watch it again.
- Eberle’s goal did not come without consequence; however. In Ryan Rishaug’s latest piece, the Oilers were more disappointed than impressed. Please watch this video, I am putting it under the amazing column.
- Tweet of the week: “I officially giveRyan Miller’s comments the James Wisniewski gesture.” Ha!
- As I tweeted a few days back, Wayne Gretzky’s son, Trevor is off to San Diego State University next year on a scholarship to play… not hockey… not football… but baseball! Trevor Gretzky is the quarterback for Westlake Village Oaks Christian High School, where he played with Nick Montana (son of Joe) and Trey Smith (son of Will). SDSU is where Stephen Strasberg attended university and their current Head Coach is Hall of Famer, Tony Gwynn.
- The Detroit Red Wings are your Western Conference leaders; while your Toronto Maple Leafs are undefeated after 3 games and lead the East. Let’s take a look at some Facebook reaction:
Leafs are gonna win the cup!
Plan the parade! Plan the parade!
3-0, fuckin eh
I”M TALKING BOUT PLAYOFFFFS
And so there you go. This is what populated my newsfeed mere minutes after the Leafs beat the Penguins last night.
The Green Jacket Watch
(The Green Jacket is awarded at the end of the year to the player with the worst +/- in the league)
Matt Beleskey, Anaheim
Tyler Myers, Buffalo
Sheldon Brookbank, Anaheim
Patrick Kane, Chicago
If this was the Ryder Cup, Anaheim would be in the lead.
NEXT WEEK: I will feature the CY Young Race (most goals, least assists). After 1 week, it is too early to determine a bonafide leader, but look out for Clarke MacArthur and Derek Roy are tied at 4-1 (4 goals, 1 assist)